Making the right decisions, Physical Health
April 2, 2020
What is COVID-19 and how can we fight it with lifestyle choices?
With the outbreak of the recent pandemic – COVID-19 – we would like to help you stay fit, both physically and mentally and we’d also like to inspire you during these difficult times. We at dacadoo take the current situation very seriously, because #WECARE.
We know that staying at home and keeping social distance might be challenging at times, but it’s necessary to slow down the spread of COVID-19.
This is why we’ve just published our infographic – a guide on how to cope with COVID-19 and social distancing. In this infographic you’ll find more information on what COVID-19 is, what you can do to avoid it, how to boost your immune system, and useful tips on activities and how you can benefit from staying at home. You can find the infographic here. But in short, what is it about?
What is COVID-19?
COVID-19 is part of the Coronavirus family and it’ closest virus relatives are SARS and MERS. It’s transmitted from person to person by droplet infection, close and prolonged contact between humans as well as via your hands. The common symptoms are fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Among the less common symptoms, are fatigue, aches and pains, headache and runny nose.
It’s important to protect yourself and those around you!
We’ve all been advised by local authorities to stay at home and keep social distance to protect ourselves and those around us, especially risk groups. In addition, taking care of hygiene (washing your hands regularly for 20-30 seconds and sneezing into your elbow or paper tissue) is of the utmost importance.
On this subject, it’s important to follow local authorities’ guidance, as they might vary depending on the country and adopted measures.
But how can we make the most out of our time at home and social distancing?
As we all most likely have more free time, we can catch up on personal projects and try new activities such as:
- Cleaning our home
- Watching our favorite TV series, playing board games or doing arts & crafts
- Engaging with friends on dacadoo and getting the competitive spirit going with a photo challenge or nutrition quiz
- Catching up on personal projects such as learning new skills and languages
- Trying new healthy recipes
- Engaging with the dacadoo coach and learning the power of mindfulness
Last but not least, healthy choices matter
A healthy lifestyle contributes to our bodies’ ability to fight bacteria, viruses and infections, including COVID-19. Make the right health choices to strengthen your immune system by:
- Practice regular exercise: try yoga or Pilates, get creative and utilize furniture and home stairs and go into your home garden. Find more about ways to exercise at home.
- Maintain a healthy diet:
- – Drink 1.5 L of water a day to stay hydrated
- – Eat 5 portions of fruit or vegetables a day
- – Opt for whole grains rather than refined grains
- – Cut down on alcohol, red and processed meat, processed foods rich in added sugar, salts and saturated fats
- Get plenty of sleep
- – The recommended time for adults is 7 to 9 hours
- Stress less
- – With relaxation techniques
- – Spend quality time with friends & family at home or virtually
- – Keep a work-life balance, especially if you’re working from home
We hope this infographic we’ll inspire you during these times. To read the full infographic, click here.